6 June 2008

Cyril, Mary, and Ivy Britton and Children

This photo shows Cyril and Mary (née Hunt) Britton at an unknown outing in 1924, with Cyril's sister (Kathleen Ethel) Ivy below Ida. I now more or less copy from the comment below by Cyril's oldest granddaughter, Valerie Ruth Britton:

'In the picture the centre girl is Mildred (my aunt Milly), their eldest surviving daughter, and the chap bottom left their eldest surviving son, Douglas, my own father. The lad in Cyril's arms is Herbert (uncle Bert) and bottom right is Leslie, I guess, still a baby.'

Cyril was a younger brother, and Irza the mother, of the working-class writer Lionel Britton.

Many thanks once again to Helen Matthews and Robert Hughes for making possible the publication of this image, and to Valerie Morris for filling in the pictures and doing a little correcting.

5 comments:

Valerie morris said...

Hullo, I am Cyril Britton's oldest granddaughter Valerie Ruth Britton. My grandmother was known by her second name, Mary.In the picture the centre girl is Mildred ( auntie Milly) their eldest surviving daughter, and the chap bottom left their eldest surviving son, Douglas, my own father. The lad in Cyril's arms is Herbert (uncle Bert) and bottom right is Leslie, I guess, still a baby. The lady holding him, though, is not Cyril's mother Irza. I showed this photo to my auntie Dorothy( their youngest and only surviving daughter ) and she said "Oh look, there.
' s auntie Ivy!" That is Cyril's elder sister, Kathleen Ethel Ivy, known by her last name in the family. This is a wonderful mine of family history. Thank you. Valerie

Dr Tony Shaw said...

Many thanks for this very useful information, Valerie, and please let me know if I've made any errors in transferring your information to the post itself.

Snatch51 said...

The photo came from Dorothy Goodbun's collection. The album was at one time in Herbert Britton's possession, but in due course it passed to Dorothy.
I would love to hear from Valerie or anyone else who wants to contribute to the Britton genealogy!
Snatch51@btopenworld.com

Snatch51 said...

The photo came from Dorothy Goodbun, and it seems to have been from an album originally belonging to her uncle Herbert.
I would love to hear from Valerie or anyone else who wants to contribute to the Britton genealogy!

Snatch51 said...

The photo came from Dorothy Goodbun, and it seems to have been from an album originally belonging to her uncle Herbert.
I would love to hear from Valerie or anyone else who wants to contribute to the Britton genealogy!
Snatch51@btopenworld.com